The Scientific Expeditions or Exploratory Remission Order can be used when a project is conducted or sponsored by a scientific or cultural organization, and institution of learning or a foreign government, where the participants are non-residents and the sponsors have undertaken to make available to the Government of Canada all information obtained in Canada as a result of the expedition's field studies


The following procedures apply for a Temporary Importation Bond (TIB):

  1. Contact ConnectionPoint with the details of the project including the collaborative partners.  ConnectionPoint will work with the Canada Border Services Agency (CBSA) to determine eligibility of the project.  Once the project is approved, prior authorization is not required for temporary imports of equipment used in the project.

  2. Forward a completed Temporary Importation Bond Information form to ConnectionPoint with details of the equipment to be temporarily imported.

  3. ConnectionPoint will contact Risk Management & Insurance Services to determine insurance coverage and assess risk and liability.  They will need to know the party responsible for coverage of damage to the equipment itself and the party who assumes liability for injury as a result of using the equipment.

  4. All equipment must meet Saskatchewan electrical standards (see Electrical Equipment Certification).  Safety Resources may need to be informed of other issues to ensure the equipment meets university requirements while being used on campus.

  5. The university customs broker - Thompson, Ahern & Co. Ltd. will prepare a customs release based on the TIB information which they will forward to the customs office at the port of entry.  A minimum of 48 hours notification is required.

  6. Regardless of how the goods are shipped, they must be declared to CBSA and should travel with copies of any documents supplied to the customs broker.

  7. The university customs broker - Thompson, Ahern & Co. Ltd. must be notified of the planned date of export prior to the return of the goods.  Failure to do so may result in the payment of GST and applicable duty on the total value of the temporary import.  The goods must be exported prior to the expiry date of the temporary entry (maximum of 2 year) or a request for extension must be submitted to the Canada Border Services Agency (CBSA) through ConnectionPoint.